Top Tips to Start Your Freelance Writing Career
The ability to craft words into marketing perfection is one of the most wanted skills in today’s digital age. With the number of websites that fill up the internet, and with Google looking into the quality of each website’s content, writing for the web has evolved into something that only a handful of talented writers can hope to make peace with. It’s not just about stuffing your articles and blog posts with keywords and keyword variations anymore – it has become about story-telling.
Freelance writing takes many shapes and writing for the web or SEO writing is just one of those. There’s also academic writing, ebook writing, medical writing, technical writing, and more. And if you are looking into going in a career in freelance writing, whether as a way to earn extra income or as a way to kickstart your lifelong dreams of becoming a writer then we suggest these three things:
- Read. Any and everything you can possibly get your hands on – the newspaper, a book, or the equivalent of these online. Reading helps to broaden not just your vocabulary but also your perspective as a writer. Take note of the different writing styles and techniques as well as the flow of each piece of material you read.
- Research. Check out different article samples. Try out different writing styles. Know what the different style guides are. Arm yourself with a chunk of knowledge on the topics you want to cover when applying as a writer – health and beauty topics, family and home, lifestyle, tech reviews, etc.
- Communicate. Part of being a writer is being a good communicator. You will be communicating your client’s objectives to a target audience through your piece of work. Also, you will have to communicate with your clients, editors, or content managers as well. It helps to hone your communication skills so that there won’t be any misunderstanding between you, your employer, the client, and the audience. Plus, it saves you time if you understood and made known your concerns before actually writing so you are prepared with your work, which means less chances of rejection or revisions.
There are a lot of pros and cons when it comes to transitioning into a freelance writing career. If you want to make sure you’re up for it, why not join a Freelance Writing Workshop?
Do It Write Solution’s very own Nizza Gueco will be hosting a Freelance Writing Workshop for aspiring writers who want to carve their own space in the freelance writing world. What can you get in this workshop?
- Career path guidance
- Profile creation
- Niche picking
- Writing job rates
- Cover letter creating
- Choosing and bidding for the job
- Accepting offers and term
- Withdrawing your earnings
- Time management tips
- Productivity tips
- Budgeting your earnings
Whew, that’s quite a lot, eh? Plus, you’ll also be getting a certificate of completion, enjoy pastries and coffee buffet from Paulette’s Choclettes, as well as a chance to have a long term job with Do It Write Solutions.
Workshop will be held on Saturday, May 23 (12NN – 6PM) somewhere around QC area near Welcome Rotonda. Workshop fees are at P1,500 per person with special group discounts, see attached poster. Further details on exact venue will be given to confirmed attendees. Slots are limited and running out so don’t forget to sign up now and start your freelance writing career!